As a part of our ongoing commitment to ensure all K-12 students receive quality arts education, the Los Angeles County Arts Commission seeks to identify and map the work of artists and arts organizations in public schools in the county. We are requesting your help to produce an accurate, county-wide snapshot showing where artists, arts organizations and cultural institutions support public education.
For artists and arts organizations in LA County: Even if you DID NOT provide services to public school students during the school day in the 2012-2013 school year, it is important that you complete the first section of the survey. If you or your organization DID provide services to students last year, we ask that you complete the entire survey. Full instructions can be found at the start of the survey.
For artists and arts organizations located outside of LA County: If you provided services to public school students in LA County during the school day in the 2012-13 school year, please complete the entire survey.
If you have already completed this survey, please accept our thanks.
All surveys should be submitted no later than January 31, 2014. The Arts Commission will report our findings back to you and the field in summer 2014.
SPECIAL INCENTIVES: If you complete this survey by December 31, you will be entered into a drawing for a grant of $2,500 to expand your work in schools. If you complete this survey by January 15, you will be entered into a drawing for a grant of $1,500. If you complete the survey by January 31, you will be entered into a drawing for a grant of $1,000.
Findings from this survey will be useful for:
• elected officials and policy-makers focused on increasing services to their local constituents;
• advocacy groups (such as Arts for LA and the California Alliance for Arts Education) who communicate publicly on behalf of students’ access to quality arts instruction;
• school district leadership tracking the extent to which arts partners are working in their schools; and
• local funders interested in identifying where services are provided to schools throughout the County.
Specifically, this data will show:
• which individual schools and school districts are currently engaging teaching artists or arts organizations to deliver arts instruction to students;
• which individual schools (and therefore regions of the County) are receiving little or no arts instruction from outside providers;
• which grade levels are most (and least) served by individual artists or arts organizations; and
• which arts disciplines are most (and least) taught by teaching artists or arts organizations.
In future surveys we will collect data on other arts-related services such as professional development and after-school programs.
We’d also like you to help us reach artists and arts organizations across LA County by forwarding this email to anyone you think might be appropriate, and sharing it on the web and social media.
Many thanks in advance for your time, for completing or designating someone from your organization to complete the survey in the next few weeks, and for helping us distribute it. Your inclusion and support is essential to our ability to paint a full picture of where artists and arts organizations are working within LA County public schools.
Click here to begin the survey.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Denise Grande firstname.lastname@example.org (213-202-3983) or Sofia Klatzker email@example.com (213-202-5939).
Photo: Third grade student at Lincoln Drew Elementary School in Compton Unified with teaching artist from Theatre of Hearts/Youth First by Gennia Cui.